In this article, let’s explore how to fix APP NOT INSTALLED error on Android and other errors that might stop apps from installing.
Android apps can be installed from two different sources, Google play store and APK files. Play Store uses your Gmail account to install Android apps and uses Play protect to check if the apps are genuine. Android also has a security feature to disallow APK files from installing.
So, if you are getting ‘App Not installed’ error while installing from Play Store, there might be an error within the installation process.
As Google is pushing Android OS towards tighter security, many old Android devices suffer with app crashes. Android uses ‘Package Installer’ to match timestamp of device with Play store to deliver apps directly without download. This keeps the user from interfering in the installation process. The app is delivered directly to our home screens without hassle.
How to fix App Not Installed error on Google Play Store
To solve this issue, you need to tweak a few settings. Once you perform these settings, make sure you restart the phone and install the app once again via APK or Play Store. If you are using Internal storage to install the app, try clearing cache to free up RAM on your device. If you are getting this error even after having RAM, follow these steps to fix App not installed error on Google play store.
How to Fix App No Storage Error: Move apps to SD card
Most apps are not installed because of storage issues when the internal storage is full. By default, Android uses 30% of storage to keep its files and the other 70% is filled quickly with Media and games. If this is the case, shift all your existing apps to SD card. Also, change storage settings to install Play store apps directly to SD card.
- Go to Settings>Storage>Apps.
- Here click on apps to see individual storage space.
- Select App to transfer to click ‘App Info’.
- Tap on ‘Change’ and select ‘Export to SD card.’
- Your app will be transferred to SD card automatically.
- Repeat with other high storage apps.
How to fix App download error: Change default storage to SD card
By installing all apps directly to SD card, you decrease the load on internal storage and RAM. This makes sure that your device is running fast and have enough RAM to install more apps. So, get a decent SD card and shift default storage to SD card to keep your internal storage clutter free.
- Go to Settings>Storage.
- Here select ‘Change default storage’ option.
- Select ‘SD card’ and hit OK when asked for confirmation.
- From now on, apps will be installed to SD card directly.
- Try installing your desired app and see if the error is fixed.
How to fix App Not installed problem: Disable Play Protect
Play Protect is a security feature in Play store that scans all installed Android apps for errors. This auto feature keeps scanning both existing and new apps for incompatibility, malware errors. When you sign in to Gmail, this feature is turned ON by default. If the app you are not installing is not latest or is underdeveloped, Play protect blocks the app from installing. This may also result in App Not installed error if the app does not comply with Play store security policies.
Note that, disabling Play Protect means to disable security scans. This means, unnoticed malware can creep into your apps through updates. Disable this feature only if you are trying to install a trusted app.
- Open Google Play Store and sign in with your Gmail account.
- Hit ‘Menu’ from top left corner and select ‘Settings’.
- Search for ‘Play Protect’ and toggle it off.
- Click ‘Yes’ when asked for permissions.
- Play protect is turned off now.
- Try installing your app now and look for errors.
How to Fix Android app installation error: Package Installer issues
Package installer is a service app for Play store that facilitates the installation to device. The service helps in skipping the downloading part and installs the app to home screen. As we can’t download from Play store, it is important that Package installer is working. Try to clear Package installer cache by following these steps:
- Go to Settings>Apps.
- Open the permissions tab and search for ‘Package installer’.
- Open the app and select ‘App preferences’.
- Here, hit ‘Clear cache’. Also check if there is any new update.
- Try to install a new app from Play store and check if you are still getting the error.
If you are still unable to install apps from Play store, this means Google has recognised your device as unsafe. Android can sometimes block Play services for some older or flagged devices. If you have some of those devices, it’s a good time to look at APKs.
How to fix APK not installed error: Allow unknown apps
APKs are free files that can be installed within a click. Go to any third party APK stores and download a few APKs to your SD card. Here are a few issues that might stop an APK file from installing.
By default, Android disables installations from APK files to protect the device. But they do have a setting to turn it ON. Once you allow unknown installations, you can install any APK files manually.
- Go to Menu>Settings>Security.
- Here look for ‘Allow apps from unknown sources’ option.
- Toggle it ON and now go to your SD card.
- Tap on the file to start installation.
If your device is still showing app installation errors, there is a good chance your package installer might be corrupt. This can happen in older and malware affected phones. If your phone shows symptoms of bricking, black screen and slowing down, you might try to ‘Factory reset’ your device.
Backup all your data to cloud and factory reset the device. This will clear the phone of all storage, cache and malware. Try signing up for a new Gmail account and install Play Store. If Google recognises your device to be safe, you can start downloading apps and APKs again.
Are you still unable to install apps? Please comment your problem in the comments below and let our community find best solution for you. Also, read these below Android tips to learn more about your device.
- How to get iPhone Emojis for Android?
- How to Clear Android Cache?
- How to hide Android apps and photos?
Best Android Apps