The black screen issue may also occur in iPhone and iPads. But as Apple doesn’t allow any user configuration with the OS, it is recommended to take your device to a certified Apple service centre for a screen replacement. So, follow these tips for Android and Windows devices and learn how to fix dead pixels on your old/new devices.
A black screen is one of the worst nightmares for users of smart devices like Mobile, PC and Laptops. We spend almost all our day on these devices to do work, watch movies, write notes but the black screen problem hits sudden. The Blank/black screen issue is formed due to dead pixels on screen that aren’t working.
Pixels form the blocks of color we see on our screens and when they die, they take away color from the screen. The black screen effect can almost scare the user if they are not tech savvy. If you ever encountered a black screen of death, follow these steps to fix Dead pixels on Android phones, Windows PC and Laptops.
4 ways to fix Dead Pixels on Phone, Windows PC, Laptop
There is a difference in ‘stuck’ or ‘dead’ pixels. If there are black patches on screen that doesn’t produce light, it means they are stuck pixels. If the whole screen turns black or white, it means the pixels are dead and need replacement. Before, proceeding to fix your screen errors, determine if your issue is stuck pixels or defective pixels.
Whenever there is intense usage of Mobile screen or Monitor screen, a large amount of pixels are generated within a few seconds. This creates hot flashes of Red, Blue, Green (RGB) light continuously projecting onto screen. Depending on the life of your monitor, a few weak pixels may be unable to flash this light and hence get stuck. These stuck pixels operate only between Black or White color without projecting RGB colors. Let us explore the best ways to fix dead pixels on phone.
Note: If you have your device under warranty, tweaking the device yourself may cause a revoke in warranty. It is advised to try these fixes on old devices that passed the warranty period.
1) Use JscreenFix to check for dead pixels
JscreenFix is a popular web tool used for checking pixels without any app. The web version has a HTML launcher that will take access to screen and check for pixel spots. These stuck pixels will appear in different colors if not dead. If dead, JscreenFix will show them as dead pixels, meaning you need a screen replacement.
- Open jscreenfix.com in your web browser.
- Scroll to the bottom and click ‘Launch JScreenfix’.
- A black screen with a pixel square will appear.
- Find the discoloured dead pixel and drag the square onto it.
- JScreenfix will automatically detect the stuck pixel and start flashing it.
- Leave it running for minimum 10 minutes.
- Once done, drag away the pixel square and close the browser.
- Restart the device and check if the pixels are gone.
2) Rub LCD screen with warm cloth
If the screen of Android phone gets folded or titled towards the side, pixels may get scattered. This results in some of them getting stuck. To make the screen consistent again, we need to rub it gently with a damp cloth. By applying pressure on screen, we will recirculate the pixels throughout the screen. With these new spots, a few pixels may start working again.
- Boil water until warm.
- Soak a clean cloth in warm water.
- Wash your hands and wear gloves if possible.
- Squeeze out extra water and wipe the phone screen with warm cloth.
- Pack the damp cloth in a plastic cover to avoid water spill on screen.
- Rub from ‘One side to other side’ in a straight line.
- Rub on the spot of stuck pixels to remove them.
- Restart your device and check for left over dead pixels.
3) Use Screen Fixer Tools to flash RGB
Apps like Dead Pixels Test, Touchscreen Repair and Display tester have options to test the pixels of an Android phone easily. By doing of screen test, we will know which pixels and dead and how much screen is still active. By knowing these, we can pinpoint the location of dead pixels and make fixes on that location.
Screen fixer tools use RGB flashes to repair the color matrix. All pixels in the color matrix produce accurate colors but not dead pixels. By testing the Matrix to display different colours, Screen fixer tools can easily find dead pixels on LCD screens. To repair your Android device using Screen fixers, install any of the above apps.
- Download Screen Fixer App from Playstore.
- Open the app and click on ‘Fix dead pixels’.
- Find the area of dead pixel and draw a square around it.
- The app will select this spot. Hit ‘Fix’ to start running tests.
- Screen fixer will push RGB flashes and other bright flashes to the selected part.
- If it is a stuck pixel, it will move and gain back colour production after 10 minutes.
- If it is a dead pixel, it will turn to white, black or red (Screen replacement needed).
4) Use Pointer to apply pressure on dead pixel
Most often, a stuck pixel is the result of uneven pressure on the device screen. When we put it into our pockets or touch monitor with different items, it will create pressure that may damage a pixel. As it moves out of place, it will get stuck and doesn’t produce colour. To solve this issue, we must create a pressure pointer and use it a tap on the stuck pixel to move it into color matrix.
This method can be used for Android phones, PC Monitors and Laptops as well. As a stuck pixel forms only in LCD screens, any device will benefit from using the pointer method. But make sure you aren’t damaging the device by using a sharp pointed tool. Follow these steps to fix dead pixels on phone and PC with a pencil pointer.
- Take a Pencil and make the LID blunt.
- Fold a small piece of cloth and cover the LID to make it more blunt.
- Press your finger on LID and check for sharpness. There should be none.
- Now, mark the dead/stuck pixel on your screen with a chalk.
- Press the blunt pencil LID slowly on the pixel mark.
- Keep gently pressing until the pixel disappears.
- Restart the device and check for other dead pixels.
How to check dead pixels on Phone?
The best dead pixel checkers are available for free on all App stores. Even though pixel checkers tend to promise on fixing dead pixels, they can only fix stuck pixels. To check dead pixels in phone, look for spots that turn black or white. Stuck pixels are RED, Green or Blue dots that appear in the middle of the screen.
Dead pixels usually appear to the edges of screen as the phone gets old. As LCD screens have less life than LED or OLED screens, the color matrix of the screen is faded through use. If your phone has dead pixels, chances are they will spread and turn the whole screen blank. This is called ‘Black screen of death’, where your buttons work, but not the monitor. Here are the best apps to check dead pixels on Android, Windows.
|Android Pixel Checkers||Windows Pixel Checkers|
|1. Dead Pixels Test and Fix (4.2)|
2. Touchscreen Repair (4.6)
3. Screen check – Dead pixels test (4.5)
|1. Jscreenfix – Pixel repair (Web)|
2. Dead Pixel Checker (Microsoft Store)
3. Pixel test Pro (Microsoft Store)