BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) is one of the oldest network providers in India. As we moved on from landlines to mobiles, BSNL introduced both CDMA and GSM network sim cards. As CDMA phones got older and less used, BSNL jumped into 2G, 3G markets competing with Airtel, Vodafone. It is also known that BSNL is entering into 4G markets from March 2021. Learn how to activate BSNL SIM card after expiry, porting and get calls+data connection back. These settings work for both 2G/3G sim cards that run on Android 4.0 and higher.
If your BSNL Sim is deactivated and shows ‘Not registered on network‘ – it means the sim is not recognised. So first, check if you inserted the SIM properly. Most network issues for older SIM cards arise because they don’t fit well into NANO slot. If you’ve cut the SIM or if the SIM has scratches, you need to replace the SIM. If your BSNL SIM card is new and shows signal but doesn’t allow calls/data, try these tricks to reactivate your BSNL Sim card.
1) Call 1507 for Tele verification Process (Expired SIM)
BSNL introduced tele verification before few years to allow users activate the SIM through call. If you bought a new BSNL sim card, you must verify it as yours by answering the verification process. By doing so, you avoid the hassle of going to a BSNL store to verify the SIM. To activate your BSNL sim to use for the first time,
- Call ‘1507’ toll free number from your BSNL sim.
- A BSNL representative will talk to you.
- Confirm your Name, Phone number and Address vocally.
- If everything matches, the representative will confirm the activation.
- Wait for 72 hours after tele-verification to activate SIM.
Note that you must have submitted your address proof while buying the SIM. After scanning the proof, BSNL will record your vocal verification as you claim the SIM. This is for Security purposes as BSNL will have vocal record of all their users. Finish your tele verification on 1507 and wait for the SIM to activate. If your SIM is expired but still shows Signal, it means you need to verify your identity once again to use BSNL services.
2) Recharge with monthly Calls+Data plan (Porting+MNP)
As Airtel, Vodafone, Jio moved away from Prepaid recharge to monthly subscription, BSNL still kept its prepaid feature. With a certain prepaid balance, you could call anyone until the balance is out. But with 4G Sim cards, network providers shifted to monthly plans to make a user pay for the SIM, just like a rental platform. With a monthly subscription model, many users who don’t want Data+Roaming features must still pay every month.
As BSNL enters into 4G markets, it will change the recharge plans to suit with competitors. So, if you tried recharging with 10Rs/20Rs or other talk time plans, it is still necessary to recharge with a monthly plan. So let’s choose the lowest monthly plan and recharge for 28 days. To activate expired BSNL sim with recharge,
- Dial *123# or *112# to check the balance.
- Open BSNL recharge portal via Phonpe, GPay or Paytm.
- Enter your mobile number and choose Rs.45 Plan/- (For Telangana)
- Recharge for 28 days to get Data+Calls+SMS.
Note that BSNL has different recharge plans for different states. Check the recharge plans of your state here and choose a monthly plan. Once you top-up with a monthly plan, you can use old talk time+SMS balance until the end of the month.
3) Call 1800-180-1503 for SIM status (Deactivated SIM)
BSNL has an expiry date of 3 months for each SIM. If the user doesn’t recharge or keep enough balance, the service automatically stops after 90-100 days. Networks like Airtel and Vodafone keep an expiry date of 30 days, making BSNL a bright choice for people who don’t use their phones much. But if you keep the SIM unused, it will expire after 100 days. If this is the case, both tele verification and recharge doesn’t work for you.
Your SIM has been deactivated for Calls, Data and SMS services. This means both incoming and outgoing calls are stopped along with push notifications as well. Once the SIM is expired, the number is transferred to a new owner who buys a new BSNL SIM card. To check the SIM status,
- Check if your BSNL SIM has signal (or) use another BSNL sim.
- Call 1800-180-1503 and respond to IVRS to reach customer care agent.
- Verify your phone number, identity and address proof to claim the SIM.
- If the number is still blocked for you, the SIM will be reactivated.
- If the number is forwarded, they will inform you to buy a new SIM.
Is your BSNL SIM is reactivated after trying these tricks? Tell us other issues you faced to activate BSNL SIM card after expiry, porting and MNP modes in the comments below.